Porschete
Site Admin
Contactar:

Lebanese minister tells how he survived bomb attack

Mensaje por Porschete »

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L12114906.htm

12 Jul 2005 18:11:37 GMT

Source: Reuters

BEIRUT, July 12 (Reuters) - Lebanon's Defence Minister Elias al-Murr climbed out of the window of his burning Porsche Cayenne on Tuesday after a bomb blast nearly killed him and hailed the driver of the first passing car who took him to hospital.

A car bomb that targeted Murr's motorcade wounded him and killed one person and wounded 13 people. His aides were badly wounded in the attack near his home in the Christian suburb of Antilias.

"When the explosion happened, we couldn't see anything. Then I saw fire and felt electric shock inside the car," the 43-year minister told LBC television.

"I found the officer with me and my bodyguard unconscious. The doors were locked and I couldn't get them out. The car was on fire so I jumped out of my broken window," he said.

"A kind lady stopped and took me to hospital," said Murr, who underwent surgery to remove shrapnel from his hands and treatment to burns in his head.

The bomb that ripped through Murr's motorcade contained 100 kg (220 pounds) of explosives, security officials said. The explosions destroyed five cars and shattered windows of buildings in a radius of 500 metres (yards).

Murr is a lawyer by training. Unlike many Lebanese politicians, he did not directly take part in the 1975-1990 civil war, whose wounds still run deep in Lebanese society.

He called for reconciliation from his hospital bed.

"This is part of continuous conspiracy. Our reaction should be national unity," he said. "Trading accusations will only create more excuses for those behind the explosions."
Cerrado