Cositas de Porsche

Cerrado
Porschete
Site Admin
Contactar:

Cositas de Porsche

Mensaje por Porschete »

Por cierto, y no tiene nada que ver, esta mañana por poco se estampa un motero contra el morro de mi 944. Sus muelas, que susto me ha dado el mam*naz* ...

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_mauer_quic ... /index.htm

Mauer Quick Convert to Everything Porsche

By Peter Robinson

WardsAuto.com, May 31 2005

New design chief Michael Mauer's influence will be seen in the Panamera, if Porsche green lights the expected 4-seater.

Print-friendly format E-mail this information

Until he committed to Weissach, Michael Mauer's wheel time in a Porsche was exactly zero.

So in July 2004, one month before Mauer took over as head of design for Porsche AG, his new boss, Wolfgang Durheimer, vice president-research and development, arranged for a loaner 911.

Michael Mauer loves his 911 Turbo.
It was, they agreed, crucial that Mauer quickly develop an intimate understanding of Porsche's iconic sports car.

“If I was born as a car, I would be a Porsche,” says the German-born designer, whose daily drive is now a 911 Turbo. “I look at competitive cars and think, wow, great. But when I drive them, I am always happy to get back into my 911.

“The (Aston Martin) DB9 is a beautiful car for people who like to park their car in front of the house. The Porsche is more honest, more functional – the visibility, the aerodynamics – and it drives differently, always in a positive way.

Mauer, the Porsche convert, is warming to the subject, already convinced the 911's unique layout bestows advantages, not intrinsic problems, and that the timeless 911, once renowned for its glacial styling changes, is no longer perceived as a design straightjacket, but is a decisive market advantage.

“Twenty years ago, people asked if a rear-engine car could still be competitive,” he says. “Not any more. Today the 911's compact package is a benefit. From a designer's point of view, the rear engine is an advantage, because the unique package and technical layout drives unique proportions and styling, and together they give a very strong character.

“As designers, we shouldn't question this honesty, but maybe bring more emotion to the design language, without disturbing the function that is so important.”

Mauer, only the fourth Porsche design boss since the family-owned company first set up its own styling department in the late 1950s, seems conscious of the responsibility he has inherited.

F.A “Butzi” Porsche, grandson of founder Ferdinand Porsche, styled the first 911 and ran the studio until the family stepped back from managing the company. In his place, Porsche plucked Tony Lapine from General Motors Corp.'s Adam Opel AG operations. During Lapine's 1969 to 1989 tenure, Porsche styled the 924 and 928.

Harm Lagaay, ex-Porsche but with stints at Ford Motor Co. and BMW AG, took over at the end of the 1980s. His team forged the 993 to give Porsche time to simultaneously develop the Boxster/996 (the two cars that saved the company), the Cayenne and the Carrera GT.

Porsche's policy of selecting an outsider might not sit well with long-serving design staff, but it clearly is part of the company's heritage.

Mauer agrees that the timing of Lagaay's retirement provides a natural break. Porsche has just launched the new 997 and Boxster, the Cayman breaks cover this week, and there is a facelift of the Cayenne on the shelf. The next new 911 is not around the corner, and when it finally comes Mauer says there won't be any dramatic changes in its character.

“History is important and you have to respect it,” says Mauer. “But I am not a person to look back. There is only one direction, forward. I have less luggage in my backpack, and it is always good for a company to bring in fresh people.”

Mauer arrived at a time when Porsche, whose CEO implicitly believes in continual growth, was deep into a debate over the desirability of adding a so-called “fourth model line.” (See related story: Porsche Nears Decision on Hybrid, Fourth Model)

Neither Durheimer nor Mauer will confirm the new model's predicted 4-seat, 4-door layout, though both are happy to admit the existence of the project. Insiders say the car – likely to be called the Panamera – is all but certain to get the green light, with an announcement expected within weeks.

Porsche has had a small team, including design, looking at the feasibility of a new model for close to two years. Indeed, for the year before his retirement, Durheimer insisted Lagaay develop an overall design plan for the next decade. Mauer's involvement in the Panamera since he arrived in Weissach July 1 has been intense.

“When you are small, you have to take risks,” Mauer says. “The project is pretty open, due to the character and timing. I've been asked what I would like to change and was able to have an influence. I hope the decision (to build the car) is positive. It would be my first project.”

If the fourth model becomes a reality, will it be perceived as a Mauer car, or a visual hangover from the Lagaay era?

“If it happens, and we don't know where it will end, it will be 80% Mauer, 20% Lagaay,” Durheimer says.

Mauer's small, dedicated team of 15-20 designers – “It depends on who you count, some people are more managers than designers” – includes many Porsche veterans, but also draws on newcomers from Mercedes and Smart. It is ex-Mercedes-Benz designers who were responsible for the interior of the 997/Boxster.

Mauer has been quick to learn that because of its small size there is nowhere to hide at Porsche.

“People have more responsibility here; they are driven to be part of the success,” he says. “There are hard discussions, but everybody wants to do a better product. I've never known people to fight so hard for the product.”

Insiders hope that when it comes to a battle with the often-daunting Wendeling Weideking, the Porsche who loves to put his stamp on design, Mauer will be prepared to stand up to the boss.

“When discussions are intense, I sometimes have to take a more general view,” he says. “We have a responsibility to do what is good for the company, and not just for the sake of design. You could say I need two heads at Porsche.”

Mauer wasn't the only outsider Porsche considered for the top design job.

Durheimer admits one candidate was a senior Premier Automotive Group designer – given his German language skills, probably Henrik Fisker, who has since quit Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd. to set up his own car company.

Mauer got the nod because of his broad credentials, Durheimer says.

Mauer comes to Porsche via a high-profile career, begun, ironically, by designing commercial vehicles for Mercedes.

“Porsche wasn't on the map when I was studying design,” he says. “Our teachers were from Mercedes and I saw that there was a possibility to join Mercedes.”

From 1992-1998, Mauer was involved deeply with teams responsible for the SLK (a Mauer original), A-Class and SL. He followed that with a year-long stint at Mercedes' advanced studio in Japan, before being appointed head of design at Smart GmbH, where he developed the Roadster.

In 2000, he accepted a challenge outside Mercedes, by moving to Saab Automobile as head of design. In 2003, he added the role of advanced design for General Motors Europe.

But Saab, desperately trying to reinvent itself, suffered from GM's convoluted decision-making process and a lack of investment in new models. Frustrated, Mauer was ready for a change.

Lagaay, knowing he was about to retire, made a point of talking to Mauer at the 2004 Detroit auto show, and Durheimer soon followed up.

Then the 911 arrived.
348 Spider

Re: Cositas de Porsche

Mensaje por 348 Spider »

MAJETE!!!!!! tenemos que hablar de recambios y útiles, tu ya me entiendessssssssssssssssss :pottytrain5:
Cerrado